. . . a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of . . . projects! (Lord Tennyson rocks!)
Life is good; the sump is dry, bathroom renovations are almost complete, my son has a summer job, my daughter’s school concert was amazing (they performed Hallelujah!). As well, Ottawa weather has been awesome for the last couple of weeks; I feel like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon; a bear from hibernation, the provincial PC party from the political wilderness.
It’s time to scratch that productive itch and focus on outside projects!
Digression: There should be a cool word for a short-term bucket list; objectives for a season that one can look back upon with a sense of accomplishment. Contradicting my belief that everything has already been thought of — and Google can find it for you — there is no clever term for a seasonal bucket list. Until now! I propose . . . zomerprestaties!
I’ve had some possible zomerprestaties items floating around in the back of my mind for the last couple of months:
- Grow marijuana legally: This depends on the passage of Bill C-45, currently targeted for July 1 2018. The current text of C-45 allows Canadians to grow up to four marijuana plants for their personal use, but they cannot be from ‘illicit cannabis’. I fear that the government will not have set up a system to distribute ‘licit cannabis’ in time for me to meet this goal, but toke springs eternal . . . .
- Cycle 150 kilometres in one day: My personal best is only 70 kilometres.
- Cycle 1000 kilometres: As of yesterday, I am up to 71 kilometres!
- Monitor ambient temperature in my yard with IoT sensors: Building on my successful sump monitoring. I have noticed that the reading of my backyard thermometer is often several degrees warmer than the official temperature. As I write, my backyard thermometer reads 19 degrees while the ECCC websites reads 15 degrees.
- Stand-up comedy sketch on Youtube: This is an interim milestone for an item on my Bucket List – perform a stand-up comedy routine in front of a live audience – for cash!
I intend to complete this zomerprestaties on or before 21:53:27 on 22 September 2018.